Monday, February 28, 2011

monday, 6pm

I'm making chicken fajitas for dinner when I notice Amelia is throwing herself against the door in our living room, desperately rattling the knob, swinging herself back and forth against the frame, trying to get outside.

Bird, what are you doing?

I'm trying to get outside! I need to say hello to the sky!


Photobucket

So I let her out, or course. It is getting dark and it's 29 degrees. She has bare feet, of course.

She stands on the porch yelling at the sky.


Hello sky, good morning, good night!

Hello geese, fly away to South America!

Goodbye sky, goodbye leaves.

Aven, never one to be left out, stands beside her yelling Dadoo, Dadoo, Dadoo!

* * *

In just over a month, I will turn 30. I keep thinking of the Talking Heads song; "You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?"

There are times this question is more easily answered than others.

Photobucket

Standing on the porch with my daughters,

saying hello to the sky,

is one of the easier times.

3 comments:

6512 and growing said...

Beautifully said.
Happy birthday a month early.

Who knew the Talking Heads were talking about mothers? Makes perfect sense really.

Anonymous said...

Because she has some experience with the thing called motherhood, Robyn marvels that you have any time at all to post to your blog. Nevertheless, we’re glad you do. Thank you! The posts are poetic and a wonderful peep into your world from such a great distance. Hang in there. Spring is almost here!

Love Marty and Robyn

kyndale said...

I love her connection with sky and the natural world. Most kids wouldn't even think about saying hello or appreciating it. So wonderful. I love your new header by the way!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...